You can now find the spelling lists on “Spelling City” – a site that will show you our lists, and provide games and practice activities online. I created a new tab at the top of our classroom blog with the title of Spelling City – go there to find our class link. Hope this is helpful! This week’s list goes along with our story for the week – The Three Javelinas.
Here it is!
Happy Friday! We continued talking about subjects and predicates this morning. We also had our first spelling test today!
Students brought a lot of important papers home today in their take home folders, including a permission slip for our first field trip to the Wolf Center – on September 25th. You can find an extra copy of it here:
Just a reminder that students have their first spelling test tomorrow….you can find an extra copy of the list below. Some other fun ways of practicing spelling are:
– Spelling the words with scrabble tiles
– Practice typing them on a computer or keyboard (even if it doesn’t work, just the act of which letters go next)
Here are a few things about this week:
– Students started switching for reading yesterday afternoon. You can ask them about their reading teacher!
– Continue to make sure students are reading 20 minutes a night. We will start our reading logs soon – students need to first practice them in class, which we will learn about tomorrow. Also make sure to look at and sign their yellow communication sheets – hopefully students are starting to write their individual math homework assignments on their communication sheet (when they have homework in math)
– We have our first school assembly tomorrow afternoon
– These next few weeks, we are looking at fractured fairytales – starting with The Three little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig!
– Today we talked about synonyms – the more you can talk about this at home and practice, the better!
We completed the marble challenge today. Our class had great discussions afterwards, in regards to the purpose of the activity – ask your child about it!
Students had phy ed today for their specialist time – and we did a few minutes of “kid yoga” when they returned in order to settle down for our writer’s workshop.
This afternoon we are going to be learning about our brains, and making brain hats. Here is a video we will watch about the brain…..
We started today with a group challenge…..teams had to move a marble from a starting line to a finish line. Sound easy? Not when the marble has to go through each student’s pvc pipe (all different shapes and sizes), cannot be touched by any hands, and cannot fall on the ground……
After our first trial, teams had time to reflect on what they did well, and what they could work on. Then they had some brainstorming time to create a plan for tomorrow’s trial.
Students were introduced to talking chips today (we used bugs!) as one discussion tool when we work in groups.
We also watched “For the birds” – the Pixar short. It lead our discussion about respect and bullying. You can watch it here:
We also started math groups today! Ask your child about their new math class……
This was one of the questions we used yesterday, in order to practice partner talk. The otter was the overwhelming choice!
Today we continued working on our routines and procedures, began our writer’s notebooks, and found out how much our names were “worth!”
Tomorrow we will start math groups. Students will learn who their math teacher is during our morning work time. Then, they will meet their teacher and have their first math class at 10:00am.
You will find your students’ communication sheet in their folder. Please initial it and put it back in their backpack.
Tonight, you can ask your child about the M&M challenge…..